Wednesday, February 6, 2008


A Spoonful Of Medicine Does Nothing

SAN DIEGO (Wireless Flash - FlashNews) – If your kid’s got a cough, keep him away from the cold medicine!

That’s the word from Dr. Ghazala Sharieff, the E.R. medical director at Rady Children’s Hospital in San Diego, who treats kids who have overdosed on cough and cold medicine on a daily basis because parents accidentally give them too much or let them take the medicine by themselves.

And the real problem lies with the – cough, cough – parents.

Sharieff explains, “It’s usually parents treating themselves because their kids are irritable, and the medicine makes children sleepy. It doesn’t shorten the course of the sickness, and kids accidentally overdose on it because it looks like it’d taste good.”

The doctor advises parents to let their kids’ cold run its course, and use a humidifier, steam shower, and a mucus remover instead of reaching for the medicine cabinet.

(Contact numbers available only to subscribing media or trial media users. You can request samples at the Wireless Flash web site.)
Copyright © 2008 Wireless Flash News Inc. All rights reserved. Wireless Flash® and FlashNews® are registered trademarks of Wireless Flash News Inc.