Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Champagne Corks Can Cause Blindness

LOS ANGELES (Wireless Flash - FlashNews) – New Year’s Eve is all fun and games – until somebody gets a cork in their eye.

That’s the word from Dr. Glen March, who says people are injured every New Year’s from incorrectly opening champagne bottles.

March says the corks act are like “small missiles” that get wedged right in the middle of the eye – causing blindness and other serious head injuries.

He says it’s easy to avoid a trip to the emergency room this New Year’s by following these three steps.

  • Make sure to keep the champagne chilled at 45 degrees. Warm champagne corks tend to fly off the bottle at a more rapid rate.

  • Always pop away from your face and others. Many injuries occur to innocent bystanders who don’t even know what hit them.

  • Use a towel over the top of the cork when unscrewing it. This helps defuse some of the force of the cork.

    If someone is popped with a cork, Dr. March says it’s crucial to take them to the hospital right away and to tape a paper plate or cup over it to protect it from further damage.

    (Contact numbers available only to subscribing media or trial media users. You can request samples at the Wireless Flash web site.)
    Copyright © 2006 Wireless Flash News Inc. All rights reserved. Wireless Flash® and FlashNews® are registered trademarks of Wireless Flash News Inc.